Wednesday 30 April 2014

Crisp Spiced Cranberry Beans



I never said I was Suzy Homemaker....

It wasn't my intent, but I was able to somewhat reduce the smell of curry in the house today.

Nothing like starchy water boiling over to cut the smell of just about anything!

But on to the beans....


Cranberry Beans ready to soak overnight





I've made these a few times now, and I think I have perfected the process.


A crispy healthy snack that can be as spicy or salty as you choose.


They don't take the place of potato chips...but close.




Soaked overnight - double in size




Crisp Spiced Cranberry Beans

1 1/2 cups dry beans
cold water
garlic powder
salt
chili powder
2 Tbsp olive oil
(The mix of spices can be whatever you have on hand)

Soak the beans all day, or overnight.

Add water to cover, and bring beans to a boil on high heat. Reduce temperature and let simmer 30 minutes, until beans are very soft.


Drain the water, and rinse off the excess starch with cold water.

Heat over to 425F.

Add beans to a large bowl and let cool while oven is heating.

Add the olive oil and spices. Mix well but carefully so you don't break up the beans.

Spread the beans on a baking sheet in a single layer.

Put the beans in the oven, turn down oven temperature to 375F,  and set timer for 10 minutes.






Give the beans a stir, still being careful not to break them.


Total baking time will be an hour; stirring the beans every 10 minutes.


Keep them in an air tight container for up to a week...but I bet they won't last that long!
(Shelley)


No comments:

Post a Comment