Tuesday 1 April 2014

Baked Beans

I've often wondered why they were called Navy beans. No not really. I never give beans much thought to be honest.

The only time I had beans growing up was slow cooked with molasses and brown sugar, and only if I felt I had to.

Now that I think about it, I don't dislike them. I've made baked beans a few times, but have never really had much luck, so I had pretty much given up. Imagine my surprise when I was rummaging in the cupboard and came across a bag of Navy Beans.










Since the episode with the oats, I gave it the old sniff test and checked for a date. I also dumped them on a white platter and checked for critters, since the bag had been opened at some point.










All good so far. I decided to soak them yesterday morning for the day, and add them to the crockpot over night. I found them still soaking on the counter this morning.


I taste tested this time and decided to proceed. I boiled them for thirty minutes, added the ingredients for dark brown baked beans and cooked them in the oven all day. 










Baked Beans

1 1/2 cups dry small navy beans
5 cups cold water.

Soak overnight (or 24 hours seems to work as well)

Drain, rince and add to a pot. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes. Drain.

Add the beans to an oven proof dish with a lid.







Add
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp prepared mustard
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 small diced onion (I used a half a shallot instead of the onion)
2 strips bacon, cut up


Add all to the pot and give it a stir. Add enough water to cover the beans, and lay the pieces of bacon over the top.

Bake 275F over for 7 hours.


Voila! Baked beans for supper. I wish I had some brown bread.




So back to why they are called Navy Beans. Since it's not because of their colour, I thought they must somehow be associated with the Navy. While searching for answers, I confirmed a few facts.

Navy beans provide almost fat free protein, are high in iron, and are high in cholesterol-lowering fibre. (Didn't know about the iron) Alone these are a good choice for dieters and health conscious eaters. After you add in the molasses and brown sugar I guess you would call them a treat.

And for years in the early 20th century, they were a staple of the Navy. Hence, Navy Beans.
(Shelley)


No comments:

Post a Comment