Saturday 19 April 2014

Hot Cross Buns

Oh boy.

A holiday! Easter and chocolate with the added anticipation of a family get together.

There will be lots of food, and I'm not yet sure what I'll be taking.

Hot cross buns crossed my mind, but they are more of a dessert and I think my Aunt has dessert covered.

But I decided to make them anyway.


I found a recipe I've used in the past from a cookbook that's been around since before my time.


I wanted to make the buns a little more heart healthy and lower in fat, but keep the flavour.


Bread and I are like oil and water...we don't mix well...


But I love most yeast breads especially the sweet variety....and that's a problem.


The recipe is for the bread maker, but could also be made the "old fashioned" way.


My Version of Hot Cross Buns


(add ingredients to the bread maker in order given)

1/2 cup egg whites
1/2 cup skim milk
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup white sugar
finely grated rind of a medium sized lemon
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp grated fresh nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups flour
2 tsp (heaping) quick rising yeast
1/2 cup raisins (add when the machine tells you to)

(My bread maker does not signal when to add the fruit. Once the mixing was complete, I removed the dough and kneaded in the raisins with a little more flour. Once I added in the raisins, I let it rise in a greased bowl.)

Let the bread machine work through the dough cycle, or let rise someplace warm for 60 minutes.

Remove and shape into rolls. Let rise again for another 60 minutes.


Bake 400F for 20 minutes. Test for doneness by knocking on the bottom of the rolls...should sound hollow.

While buns are still warm, coat with icing made from 1 cup icing or powdered sugar, and 2 Tbsp milk.
Rather abstract don't you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment