Tuesday 22 April 2014

Millet Patties with Tzatziki



The day I dropped the steel cut oats all over the floor at the Bulk Barn...I had millet on the list as well. They made it home unscathed.


A few weeks ago someone had mentioned that millet was a favourite of the Northern Cardinals. Since I've been trying to keep them coming back I thought I would give it a try.

I put some out in the bird feeder, someone ate it but didn't see who...might have been that pesky squirrel.

I also did a little research on Google and found that people eat it as well as birds...who knew...not I.


1 cup millet and 2 cups water




I've tried cooking it different ways, and found the best results were in a slow cooker set on high. (Mine I set on four hours.)


The first try was as a side for salmon. Salmon has such a distinct flavour the sides can be pretty mild or bland.

Different seasonings worked , garlic, salt, and pepper, but I wanted something that would enhance the oatsie or nutty flavour the millet already had. I switched from salt to soy sauce, and I added peanut butter.








This is what I called a happy accident.

A nice complement to the salmon and coleslaw.

I had a lot left over, and thought the flavour with the peanut butter would taste good as a patty.

I now had my appetizer to contribute to our Easter Family Brunch!

The peanut butter by itself wasn't enough to hold the patty together, so I added some egg white. And baking rather than frying to avoid using more oil.



Baked Millet Patties

2 cups cooked millet
2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup egg white
1 shallot, minced fine
3 garlic cloves, minced fine
1 medium carrot, shredded fine
1 Tbsp olive oil

Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the shallot, garlic and carrot, until soft. Add the millet, soy sauce, and peanut butter. Mix well.

Take off the heat and let cool.

Add the egg white, mix well, and form into patties.



Line a baking sheet with parchment. Bake patties for 20 minutes at 350F.


The patties were different.

You could taste the peanut butter, and were good by themselves, kind of addicting.

But if you are used to salting everything to enhance flavours they seemed a little bland at first.

I thought Tzatziki would be a nice fresh taste as a dip or spread.






Tzatziki.

1 cup plain Greek Yogurt
1/2 small English cucumber, peeled, seeded and shredded fine
3 cloves garlic, minced fine
1 Tbsp dill (fresh is better - I didn't have so used dried)
salt to taste

Mix all together and let sit overnight.


I asked for honest feedback on the patties and everyone seemed to like them. Certainly a healthy alternative to high sodium items we gravitate towards when shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment