Tuesday 15 April 2014

Spiced Pumpkin Pie Bread

I opened a can of pumpkin pie filling last week with the intention of making muffins...until I remembered the baking powder status.

The pie filling was still sitting in the fridge this morning, and not wanting to waste it I decided to make a yeast bread. No baking powder required!

I love trying out new recipes, and reworking until I get the right texture and taste...and I hate to waste a good loaf of bread.
First stage of the mixing


Spicy Pumpkin Pie Bread

1 cup pumpkin pie filling
1/2 cup skim milk
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1 1/2 tsp quick rising yeast


Add to the bread machine in the order listed and set on dough. Mine takes 1 1/2 hours.



Remove to a floured board, split evenly and shape into two loaves.

Grease your loaf pans and add the dough. Set the timer and let rise someplace warm for 60 minutes.

Dough may not double in size since these will be heavy loaves.

Into the pans...
...and an hour later





















Bake the loaves in a pre-heated 375F oven with the timer set for 30 minutes.


I bet people walking by could smell these puppies!





Test for doneness by knocking on the bottom of the loaf. It should should hollow.



A little lime marmalade...



For the first couple days the bread will be moist enough you won't even need butter.


When it is a couple days old it will make awesome toast...but who am I kidding... it won't be around that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment