Thursday 3 April 2014

Simple Experimentation

A couple of days ago, I was at an outdoor market just looking around.  One of the vendors was selling spices, oils, and vinegar -- and there were samples.  I said to myself 'Ross do not try anything or you will end up buying something!'.  We all know what happened and it cost $45.  However, the things I bought are delicious.  My favourite is the Double Garlic Oil.  It's a combination of canola and olive oils infused with garlic.  Lots of garlic.

Anxious to try it, I decided to make a salad.  I've been making a lot of salads lately, partly because they are very friendly in a Weight Watchers kind of way, but also because there is something appealing about the simplicity of a salad.
(Ross)
My Simple Salad
2 to 3 cups (or more) Romaine Lettuce
1 to 2 Tomatoes - chopped
1/3 to 1/2 of an English Cucumber - chopped
2 tsp Double Garlic Oil
Cracked Pepper3/4 oz Feta - crumbled

  • Combine the lettuce, tomato, and cucumber in a bowl then drizzle the oil over the mixture.  
  • Add a couple of grinds of pepper on top.
  • Toss to both distribute the oil and combine the ingredients.
  • Sprinkle the feta over the top and enjoy.





Another yummy item I picked up was a bottle of Blood Orange Balsamic Finishing Sauce.  Unlike a flavoured balsamic vinegar, this also has a bit of sugar in it as well.  As a dip for bread, the lingering aftertaste is amazing.  The woman selling it recommended using it on baked salmon, but I decided to try it with fruit.  I poured a tablespoon of the sauce onto a plate and the in it placed sliced banana, strawberries, and a sliced pear.  Yum.



No comments:

Post a Comment