Sunday 27 April 2014

Omelette Anyone?

Omelette with Ginger-Lime Marmalade
I've discovered that I am change adverse when it comes to my food. I'm not very adventurous, and reluctant to try new things.

Every favourite restaurant, I order the same thing, usually without opening the menu. Or sometimes I open the menu to give others the false impression I'm actually making a decision.

If I'm in a new restaurant, I stick to what I know. And if I can't pronounce it, I usually won't order it.

Maybe this is because I'm a Capricorn. Practical, prudent and cautious. I would never make a mindless decision about my food!

So making this omelette brings me right out of my comfort zone.

An omelette in the past would have had bacon, mushroom, and cheese. I just realized that's exactly the same combination for my favourite pizza. Time to take a walk on the wild side.



Red onion, garlic, celery, chicken bacon, and mushroom, are the flavours of choice I reach for today. (You see how I keep the familiar ingredients for comfort)


And instead of cheddar cheese, I use Asiago. I should be ready to make a change to a different cheese by September. The Asiago should be gone by then I would think.


What should I call this new omelette I'm trying?







Shelley's Mildly Wild Saturday Brunch

1 cup egg whites
2 Tbsp red onion, finely minced
2 Tbsp celery, minced
2 strips bacon (chicken, turkey or regular) diced
1 Tbsp garlic (1 large clove), finely minced
4 mushrooms, chopped
2 Tbsp water
Cooking spray







On medium high heat in a non-stick frying pan, spray the cooking oil to coat the bottom of the pan.

Add the onion, garlic, and celery, and cook about 2 minutes.

Add the bacon and cook another 2 or 3 minutes.

Add the mushrooms, stir, and add the 2 Tbsp of water. Cook until all the water has evaporated.

Add the egg whites, and stir as it begins to cook to ensure the vegetables are evenly distributed.






If the mixture gets lumpy, not to worry, pick the frying pan up and roll the wet egg white to fill in any holes.

Once most of the egg whites have started to set, sprinkle the cheese over the top.











If you can roll the entire omelette using a wide spatula, roll up, otherwise cut the omelette down the middle and roll up one side at a time.


Once the omelette has been rolled you can flip from side to side. Omelette is done, when no liquid escapes when pressed slightly.


Serve with or without a dipping sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment