Wednesday 9 April 2014

Spinach Casserole

I've said it before and I'll say it again ... I don't like cooked greens.  So what possessed me to buy frozen spinach, I have no idea.  Perhaps I was planning to use it in a lasagna.  It's been in the freezer for a while -- probably before Christmas.  What to do with it?  Lasagna is more points than I want to use at the moment.  A casserole would be good though.  Also in the freezer are half a bag of sliced leeks and a bag of peppers.  Woohoo ... I get to use up three items from the freezer at once.
(Ross)


Spinach Casserole


5 tbsp Butter
5 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
2 cups Skim Milk
1-2 tbsp Minced Garlic
1-2 tsp Salt
Ground Black Pepper
16 oz Frozen Spinach
8 oz Frozen Leeks
12 oz Frozen Green and Red Pepper Strips
1 1/2 cups Panko or Bread Crumbs

  • Melt the butter over low heat and then add the flour to make a roux.  Let this cook together for about 5 minutes over a medium low heat, but stir it constantly so it doesn't burn.
  • Slowly add the milk. I usually add about a 1/4 cup at a time starting off.  Whisk it into the mixture so that everything is combined.  The first couple of adds of milk will actually thicken the mixture, but don't worry.  Keep adding and whisking until all the milk is incorporated.
  • While adding the milk, the garlic should also be added.  I like garlic a lot and I tend to be heavy handed with it, so the 2 tablespoons is good for people like me.
  • Once the mixture is about the consistency of heavy cream, add salt and pepper to your personal taste.
  • Fold in the spinach, leeks, and peppers, making sure everything is evenly coated with the sauce.
  • Pour into an oblong baking dish and top with the panko or bread crumbs.
  • Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.  The top should be nicely browned and the mixture bubbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment