Sunday 27 April 2014

Chicken Curry with Basmati Rice

In honour of Bollywood in Tampa, I'm again straying out of my comfort zone and making Indian food.

I have curry in the pantry, but only ever add it to sour cream. And I've had Indian food once...in Scotland.




Unlike Ross, I don't have Indian cookbooks to consult, but I have a can of coconut milk...bought on impulse...as a starting point.


Google is lending support.

beautiful palette of colour
























Chicken Curry with Basmati Rice
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1 small onion, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced fine
3 Tbsp curry powder (I use mild)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp paprika
1 bay leaf
1 tsp fresh ginger, finely minced
1/2 tsp white sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 cup plain, fat free Greek yogurt
1 cup coconut milk
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Huge Hint! Have all ingredients ready before you start cooking. This goes together very fast.

At this point the house smells so good from the spices!

Heat the oil in a medium size frying pan on medium heat, and add the onion. Sauté until the onion starts to brown.

Stir in garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, bay leaf, ginger, sugar, and salt. Continue stirring for another minute.

Add the chicken pieces, tomato paste, yogurt, and coconut milk. (I have to transfer to a pot since the frying pan is too large)




Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.

Remove the bay leaf, and stir in the lemon juice and cayenne pepper.

Simmer 5 minutes more.


Serve with Basmati Rice






I definitely had fun making it...and enjoyed eating it...would be good with scallops I think and may try that during Ross's next visit home.

Waiting for comments from my Dad who has take out!


No comments:

Post a Comment