Tuesday 15 April 2014

Roasted Veggies

Shelley is always telling me how much she loves oven roasted Brussels sprouts.  I never really believed her though.  However, when she was at my place, we had a salad mix that included sliced, raw Brussels sprouts and I thought the were nice.  A while later I tried them sliced in a stir fry -- also good.  Last night I got up the nerve to try baking them in the oven. Yum.  Shelley was absolutely right.  I used her recipe as a guide.


Baked Brussels Sprouts
Ready for the Oven

  • In a nice sized bowl, toss the Brussels sprouts in about a teaspoon of oil.  I used the garlic flavoured oil I bought a couple of weeks ago, but canola or olive oil will be fine.
  • Place them in a shallow baking dish.
  • Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and a few good grinds of black pepper.
  • Place them in a cold oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350.  Turn them over and bake another 20 minutes.









As I had the oven already turned on AND I need to use up some things in my freezer, I decided to bake some other veggies as well.  Jazz up a package of frozen peas and carrots?  Why not!

Yum, yum, yum
Peas and Carrots
  • Empty a 16oz bag of frozen vegetables into a baking dish.  I used peas and carrots, but I think most combinations would be just as good.
  • Add 4 ounces of crumbled feta cheese.  I used fat free, but I don't think I would use it again.  It tasted good, but the texture was kind of rubbery.  Regular feta would have melted nicely I think.
  • Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and a couple of good grinds of pepper.
  • Bake 20 minutes at 350 starting in a cold oven.  Stir, then bake another 20 minutes.






In addition to these two dishes, I had some corn on the cob as well.  I soaked the unhusked ears in water for about 10 minutes, then put them in the oven unpeeled with the other veggies.  I left them for 40 minutes and took them out.  Alas, I was enjoying the other veggies so much, I forgot completely about the corn.  No pictures, no tasting.  It did however, end up in some really good chowder.

No comments:

Post a Comment