Wednesday 16 April 2014

Corn Chowder

I can't believe I forgot to eat my corn on the cob!  Roasting it in the oven worked really well and I'll be doing that again in the future instead of boiling.  It's been a while since I've made soup, so I think Corn Chowder is in order.  Although in the past I would always use heavy cream or blend to make a chowder, I want to make this one friendlier to the waistline.  No cream this time -- skim milk instead, but thickened with a bit of flour.  I cringe to write that, but a little cream cheese will help.  Also, no potatoes -- this should make Shelley happy.  To boost the flavour, I'm using lots of onion.  As long as it tastes good, I'm a happy guy.
(Ross)


Corn Chowder
1 1/2 to 2 Large Sweet Onions
6 Slices Back Bacon
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 cups Corn
2 cups Water
1 cup Skim Milk
2 tbsp Cream Cheese
Black pepper to taste
  • Dice the onions and saute them in the olive oil.
  • Dice the bacon and add it to the onions. Ham or any other kind of bacon would also work.
  • Once the onions are translucent, add the corn and saute for another 5 minutes.
  • Add the water and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the water has reduced by half.
  • Add the milk and bring back to a boil.
  • Stir in the cream cheese, continuing to stir until it has melted.
  • Once the cream cheese has melted, turn off the heat and add the black pepper.  
  • Let this sit until cool, then refrigerate overnight.
  • Reheat and serve.
  • Note -- I purposely didn't add salt to this recipe as there may be enough salt in the bacon.  If needed, add the salt when eating, but make sure to taste the chowder first.

No comments:

Post a Comment