Sunday 23 March 2014

Whole Wheat Bread

Years ago, my friend Jon shared with me his recipe for making white bread in the bread maker.  It's straight forward, reliable, and makes good tasting bread.  Since then, I've been experimenting with it to make all kinds of varieties.  Today it's whole wheat.
(Ross)

1 1/4 cups water
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp molasses
1 tsp salt
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast


  • Place all above ingredients (in order) into the bread machine and set it on the dough cycle.  As it mixes, watch to make sure the dough is a nice sturdy consistency.  I think I might have used more than 2 tbsp of the molasses, so I had to add more flour to compensate.
  •  After the dough cycle completes, turn out the dough on a floured board and form into a ball.  Decision time -- make one large loaf, or multiple smaller ones.  If using loaf pans, grease (or use cooking spray).  I decided to make rolls, so I placed a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet, divided the dough into eight, and formed them into little torpedoes.
  • Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise in a warm dry place until double in bulk.  This took about 45 minutes.
  • Bake at 375 until browned and they sound hollow when tapped.  Don't bake the dishtowel though!
  • Cool and enjoy.

Just panned:


 After 45 minutes:


Ready to eat:

No comments:

Post a Comment