Tuesday 18 March 2014

The Day After the Day Before

After all the festivities that were St. Patrick's Day, I thought perhaps today I should be kind to my poor old self. I usually try to have a selection of fruit on hand to snack on through the day, and today I had a combination of pineapple, papaya, and honeydew melon. This was lunch.



I've never had fresh papaya, and thanks to my good friend Google, I was able to find out all kinds of interesting facts. (Because what's on the Internet is true)


Some people think that papaya is one of the world's best fruits. One medium papaya contains 224% of the daily recommendation of Vitamin C. (Wow...I should be able to come out of the bubble)

In addition to the vitamin C, they are rich in antioxidant nutrients such as carotenes and flavonoids (had to google again), and minerals potassium and magnesium. These nutrients promote the health of the cardiovascular system and also provide protection against colon cancer.

Papaya also have protein-digesting enzymes that have been know to help lower inflammation.

So I'm sold. I don't know what you would consider a medium papaya (I forgot to weigh), but most of it is now gone, but does this mean I have to eat one a day?

I planted the seeds!

(Shelley)




No comments:

Post a Comment