Monday 17 March 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day...Parts 1 and 2

I obviously don't have the knack for a can of Guinness. Not only can I not pour the shamrock, and I tried, twice, there is something in the can that when peering in the hole remotely resembles an eyeball. I can only assume that it's there to mix up the brew. But wouldn't that make it explode when you pop the tab?

Today's menu is pan fried lamb chops with a Guinness glaze. Irish soda bread and Dubliner cheese. And I think I'll have a glass of Guinness.

Back shortly with the pictures and recipes!




Part 2

Oh my. I'm thinking Ireland should be my next trip. I think maybe I'm Irish! Everything was delicious, and there's lots of Soda Bread and Dubliner cheese left for tomorrow.

The lamb chop (shoulder cut), I dredged in flour. I used a canola cooking spray, on medium high heat in a regular pan. I had to add a little more cooking spray when I realized the kitchen was a little smokey. All good...alarm did not sound!

The Guinness sauce:
1/2 cup Guinness (too bad I had to throw out the rest of the can..wink wink)
1 Tbsp brown sugar

Boil both together until it's the consistency of molasses. Whatever you do during the boiling..DON'T smell it. I almost threw it out.

Pour the sauce over the chop.



For the Irish Soda Bread: (I only made 1/4 of the recipe)

4 cups flour
I Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups buttermilk

Mix the dry ingredients and make a well. Add the buttermilk and mix just until it sticks together. Batter is dry.

Knead a few times, and put on a buttered cookie sheet. Make an X on the top with a very sharp knife.

Bake 425 for 20 minutes.

Kerrygold Dubliner cheese is usually available at Sobeys and really is made in Ireland.
(Shelley)



No comments:

Post a Comment