Sunday 4 May 2014

You are the Apple of my Pie


Working in the pantry I came across some pie plates I bought on a trip to Florida…in 2008…still in the package. 

I love those kitchen stores at the outlet mall and can get a little carried away! 

I knew I had a package of pie crust that needed to be used, and a few apples.



Like Ross, my absolute favourite apple is the Gravenstein, and unfortunately only available for a very short time in the fall. 

The Granny Smith is my next favourite with it’s crisp tartness.

While this wasn't the healthiest of choices and keeping with the theme of the blog, I decided on apple pie…or “pies” to be more precise.

Some pies freeze really well, and are a quick dessert if you need something without having the time to go shopping.

I was able to make 3 little pies and a wannabe. If I had of taken more care rolling out, it would have been 4 mini pies.







Mini Apple Pies

1 pkg pastry (makes one double crust pie)
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut in chunks
1/4 tsp nutmeg (or grate 1/2 small nut)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp flour
pinch salt

Mix the pastry according to the directions, and evenly 
split into 2 or 4 pieces.

Roll out the 2 or 4 pieces and fit into the pie plates.





Mix the apples, nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar, flour, and salt together until the apples are well coated.


Add the apple mixture, and the top crust. Seal the edges well and cut off any excess.









Spread a little milk to the tops of the pies and sprinkle a little white sugar for decoration if desired.



Bake in a preheated 425F oven for 15 minutes, turn oven down to 350F, and bake another 20 - 30 minutes until top crust is golden.










Serve pie warm with vanilla ice cream or a wedge of cheese.












If freezing, do not bake the pie. Once pie has been assembled, wrap will in tinfoil and freeze. 



To bake, thaw, and follow baking instructions above.


No comments:

Post a Comment