Monday 5 May 2014

Cinco de Mayo -Pollo a la Naranja

Loaded with Vitamin C...
Hola!

El Dia de la Batalla de Puebla (The day of the battle of Puebla) - May 5


When I heard this morning that today was Cinco de Mayo, I quickly had to decide what I was going to make.



I already had chicken thawing, and without a Mexican cookbook to help out I did a quick scan of the Internet.



I've been fighting a battle with a flu bug...I know I'm losing...so first on the menu was a Margarita. It's been a year since I've celebrated Margarita Monday! Tomorrow I'll remember why...


With our healthy theme in mind I found a few recipes for Orange Chicken which is a speciality of Oaxaca. Here is my version of Pollo a la Naranja!

Orange Chicken

1 Margarita....to get you "en el estado animo"!
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
3 whole cloves
1 - 3 inch cinnamon stick
3 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
fresh ground black pepper
salt
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup water

Have everything ready ahead of time.

Add the olive oil to frying pan with a lid, or a wide bottomed pot. Add the onion, and cook until translucent.

Add the chicken, and cook until it starts to brown.

Add the garlic, and sauté for a couple minutes more.



Add the orange juice, water, and seasonings.


Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let simmer 20 minutes.


Uncover and let simmer 10 minutes to allow the liquid to thicken.

Quick test to see if more salt is needed.







Orange Flavoured Basmati Rice
1/2 cup basmati rice
1 cup water
1 piece orange peel (remove all white pith)

Bring to a boil, and cook until all water is almost gone.

Remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes.



This was really good!

Not what's in my mind when I think of Mexican food.

And there is enough left for a meal tomorrow!
(Shelley)

No comments:

Post a Comment