Monday 12 May 2014

Good Intention for Chicken Salad

My intent was to make some nicely flavoured cooked chicken to use in a salad.  Not wanting to use much salad dressing, I planned to make a sauce for the chicken that would double as my salad dressing.  So far, so good. I even had the carrots sliced perfectly.


A nice marinade always gives a good flavour.  How about garlic and cumin?



Not being a patient person, I didn't bother to let the chicken marinate for more than 5 minutes before I decided to cook it.  As soon as I heard the chicken start to sizzle in the pan, I thought "Oh no!  The garlic".  In order to prevent the garlic from burning long before chicken was even close to being cooked, I added a cup or so of water and ended up poaching the chicken instead.  With carrots and some chopped onions added to it, the day was saved..
(Ross)

Chicken for Salads
1 lb Boneless Chicken Breast
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tbsp Minced Garlic
2 tbsp Cumin or Ground Coriander Powder
Salt & Pepper
1 cup Water
1 cup Chopped Onion
2 cups Sliced or Chopped Carrots
1 tbsp Flour
  • Cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
  • Combine olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper to make a marinade.
  • Add the chicken to the marinade. Cover and let sit for an hour in the fridge.
  • Heat a large frying pan or wok, then add the chicken.
  • As soon as it starts to sizzle, add the water and onions.
  • Shortly after, add the carrots.
  • Once the chicken is cooked through and the onions have softened, sprinkle the flour over the mixture and carefully stir it in, making sure there are no lumps.
  • It's ready as soon as the sauce has thickened nicely.
Serve hot with rice, pasta, or on its own.  To use in a salad, cool slightly and serve warm or chill and serve cold.  Personally, I tasted it hot and somehow, before I knew it, there was nothing left in the pot.







No comments:

Post a Comment