Thursday 1 May 2014

Chicken Parmesan Sandwich -- Well Sort Of

Last night I was out to dinner with a couple of friends.  One of the guys ordered a chicken parmesan sandwich, and boy did it look good!  A nice toasty sandwich roll, lots of melted cheese, and fried chicken.  What's not to love.

I've been thinking about it all day -- it was a little embarrassing when I started to daydream about it in my three hour meeting at work.  I think I actually drooled at one point.

Trying to make it a bit more Weight Watcher friendly, I sauteed chicken breast tenderloins in a miniscule amount of olive oil rather than breading and frying the chicken.  Lower fat provolone replaced mozzarella and parmesan. To boost the flavour, onions plus a good marinara.  I used a store bought sauce as I didn't have any home made on hand.  When buying a sauce, I always read the label and choose one that has the most natural ingredients.  It's healthier for sure, but I also find the taste much better -- plus it's not always the more expensive ones with the better ingredients.
(Ross)


Chicken Parm(ish) Sandwich
1/2 pound Chicken Tenderloins
1/4 to 1/2 tsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Dried Oregano
1 Onion (sliced)
1/2 to 1 cup Good Marinara Sauce
2 sandwich sized slices of Lower Fat Provolone Cheese (each cut in half)
1 good sized Hoagie or Submarine Roll.
  • Sprinkle the oregano over the chicken and then saute it.
  • When the chicken is cooked through (but still moist), remove it from the pan and set it aside.
  • Fry the onions in any remaining olive oil -- adding a little extra if needed.
  • Once the onions have caramelized, add the marinara sauce and heat through.
  • Slice the hoagie roll lengthwise in two -- well, almost in two.  Like a very large hotdog bun.  The halves should still be solidly attached.
  • Spread the marinara and onion mixture on the bread, then the chicken, and top with the cheese.
  • Place it under the broiler for a few minutes until the bread is toasted and the cheese melted.  Watch it closely so that it doesn't burn.
  • When eating, make sure there are lots of napkins handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment