Wednesday 23 July 2014

White or Red?

Two of my favourite topics.

We're getting ready to move on but not before a little Australian wine tasting.

Four brands that I have bought multiple times in the past are Jacob's Creek, Yellow Tail, Lindemans, and Wolf Blass. I've probably bought others but don't specifically remember the names.

I don't profess to be a connoisseur of fine wines, but I know what I like.

I flip back and forth between white and red...having a preference for red. But during these hot summer months I must say I prefer a cold glass of white.




Lindeman's Pinot Grigio

Aromas
floral - perhaps
tropical nuances - yes
ripe apple - yes
nashi pear - maybe

Lindeman's Pinot Grigio is one of my favourites of this grape variety. I have another favourite that is produced in Italy

Nice crisp and clean taste for these hot summer days.

White wine has a short shelf life and is usually meant to be consumed in the short term rather than the long. And I'm OK with that.





Lindeman's Shiraz

Medium bodied fruity red...yes I got that.

Aromas
Woody - Possibly
Empyreumatic - (need Google)
Spicy - I think
Fruity - oh yes what else it's grapes is it not?
Vegetal - seriously?

Store between 16 - 18c - yeah that's not happening...its not even that cold in my basement.

Drink now or keep 4 years following the vintage...hahahaha

I guess if you can afford to buy a case at a time, I expect you would be able to leave some on the wine racks for a year or so down the road.

The red was very good...I liked it. I do remember from a wine tasting in Niagara that if you swirl the wine in the glass, without spilling, it should coat the glass similar to an oil. This one had a very good coating.

So in summary. I need to build a cold room in the basement to store the wine I'm going to save for years. And pick up a part time job so I can pay for these cases of wine I'm going to buy. And find a designated driver.
(Shelley)


No comments:

Post a Comment