Monday 28 July 2014

My Version, But I Cheated

Shelley and I are on the same wavelength today, but I like potatoes and I'm much lazier than she is. Tonight I was out until after nine, so I didn't have a lot of time to spend on dinner.  As I was looking through recipes, I saw the Bramboraky and decided to make it -- Shelley had sent me some pictures of hers and I thought they looked yummy.

Grating potatoes at 9 pm was just not going to happen in my house, so I substituted a bag of frozen hash browns.  The shredded type, not the little tiny cubes.

Cheater's Bramboraky
1 bag of Frozen Shredded Hash Browns
1 tbsp Minced Garlic (bottled)
Sea Salt
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
1 tbsp Dried Marjoram
2 Eggs
2 tbsp Milk
1 to 2 tbsp Flour
Oil for frying
  • Thaw the hash browns in a colander in the sink so they will drain.  Rinse them in warm or hot water if you need to speed up the process.
  • Dry the potatoes by dumping them on a clean, dry cotton kitchen towel, then twist it around them to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
  • Dump the dried potatoes into a large bowl then add the garlic and marjoram.  Add salt and pepper to your personal taste.
  • In a small bowl, beat the two eggs and the milk.
  • Stir the liquid into the potatoes and mix thoroughly.
  • Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir it in well.
  • If needed, add an additional tablespoon or two of milk.  The batter should be the thick enough for making into small balls.
  • Heat several tablespoons of oil in a frying pan with good sides.  I used a flat griddle with no sides and made a terrible mess on the stove.
  • Make the potato into little patties about the size of hamburgers.  Fry them in the oil until they are crispy on each side.  It's best to turn them only once as they can be a bit fragile.  I think about 3 minutes each side should do it.
  • Make them in small batches of 2 or 3, adding additional oil to the pan as needed.
  • Drain the pancakes on paper towel to get rid of an excess oil before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment