Wednesday 30 July 2014

Goulash - Czech Style


As a kid, if my mother said we were having goulash for supper she'd be joking and would have meant there was nothing planned.


But I'd have looked her straight in the eyes, and if there was any doubt she wasn't joking, my bags would have been packed and I'd be threatening to leave home.


Goulash...just the name sent shivers through me. And until I started researching recipes, goulash is not something I would have even considered trying.




Since the Czech cuisine is heavy on meat and starchy foods, I've been challenged finding recipes. And seeing so many recipes for goulash, I finally decided to open one up and give it a look.


Surprising...I was beginning to think I might actually like this dish.




Beef Goulash


1 1/2 lbs beef, cut into cubes (sirloin worked well)

2 Tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, diced
2 Tbsp paprika (or to taste)
2 Tbsp fresh marjoram or 1 tsp dried
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup water








Heat the oil in a frying pan with a cover on medium high, and sauté the onions until soft. 

Add the paprika, and cook for about one minute.


Add the beef, and begin browning being careful not to burn. Turn to medium heat.


Add the salt, marjoram, and water; reduce heat to low and simmer for about 2 hours.


Add water if necessary during the simmer.









I almost couldn't wait until everything else was ready. As you can see by the portion on the plate it was dwindling...


This is the best darned thing I've made with beef in a long time.


Goulash...goulash...goulash....sends different kinds of shivers now...can't wait to make it again!


5 Stars....


Best served with dumplings....but that is another story!

(Shelley)









No comments:

Post a Comment