Tuesday 29 July 2014

Czech Stuffed Mushrooms with Spinach

I love stuffed mushrooms....I guess I'll probably tire of them at some point, but I've made them a few times now since my very first go with them in June.


They will be my new "go to" recipe when I'm asked to bring appetizers. 





For the most part they are a healthy alternative to chips and dip, lower calorie than cheese and crackers, or even replacing veggies and dip which I have gotten used to serving.














Using a tiny button mushroom would be fun, you could eat a dozen and still have room for dinner! 



I'm certain these were on the "Czech" site because of the marjoram. I've come to the conclusion that 75% of the recipes call for marjoram.

I've never used it before now! 

 Mushrooms Stuffed with Spinach
12 large portabello mushrooms
1 ib fresh baby spinach, rough chop
2 slices bacon
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp marjoram (or 2 Tbsp fresh)
2 egg yolks (I used 1/4 cup egg whites)
bread crumbs (I used crushed croutons)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese 





Remove the stems from the mushrooms, and clean around the edge. 

If the mushrooms are extra large, remove the gills with the edge of a spoon. 

Chop the gills and stems together. Set aside.





Fry the bacon, until just turns crisp. 

Drain on paper towel. 

When cool enough to handle, break into small pieces.

Discard all but about a Tbsp of the bacon fat. 

Add the onions, and fry until soft, and just starting to brown. 

Add the chopped stems and a small amount of salt and pepper.


Cook until stems are soft; add the marjoram, cooked bacon, and baby spinach.


The baby spinach will cook down pretty quick. Add the egg, and stir it in while it cooks. 










Remove from heat and add the cheese. 

Taste to see if you need more salt.













Spoon the cooked filling into each of the mushroom caps. 

Sprinkle with either breadcrumbs or the crushed croutons.

Bake 375F for 30 minutes.

Serve warm...or cold the next day!
(Shelley)



No comments:

Post a Comment