Sunday 6 July 2014

Safari Cooking

The meal I made was traditional, and what you would expect on a safari...where you are living in tents...and on a budget.

I didn't have goat, so I used beef...Nyama Choma (roast meat), cut into cubes, on a skewer and cooked on an outdoor grill.

It would have a different flavour cooked over charcoal or open flame, rather than the propane I used.

Along with the Nyama Choma and Ugali, I made cachumbari, which is tomatoes and onions.

The beef I used was top sirloin and I didn't season it as I usually would before putting it on the grill. It was surprisingly good.

We take for granted the things we have access to, (BBQ sauce, seasoning salt, spices) and sometimes forget that cooked without seasoning can be just a flavourful.



Nyama Choma

Beef, chicken or pork
oil
2 Tbsp salt
1 cup water
wooden skewers

Soak your skewers in warm water for about 30 minutes before you add the meat.





Cut the meat into bite size pieces, trying to keep them all the same size so they will cook evenly.


Coat the meat in a small amount of oil, just to keep them from sticking to the grill.


Thread them on the skewers.


Combine the salt and water, stir until all the salt had dissolved.


With the BBQ on high, add the meat. Baste with the salted water. Cook the beef until desired doneness.

Cachumbari
1 onion, sliced thin
2 tomatoes, sliced or chopped
juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp olive oil
Handful of cilantro, chopped

Add the onion, cilantro, and tomato to a bowl, and toss. Mix together the lemon juice and olive oil.
Drizzle over the tomato mixture and toss to coat.

Serve with the Nyama Choma and Ugali.





With Arthur paying us a visit yesterday, it was too windy to do any outdoor grilling, and even today it's still pretty breezy. I am planning on trying chicken this way, and will make the ugali again. I'd like to try toasted it on the grill rather than serving it in a mound.
(Shelley)

No comments:

Post a Comment