Saturday 12 July 2014

Aussie Burgers "With the Lot"

What a way to end a busy week. A barbie with a few of the rellies...








A couple glasses of bonzer homemade wine, a lot of laughs, good food, and it was smokin’ !








No I mean really smoking. 

Smoke from the BBQ was so thick you couldn’t see anyone! 

I thought we’d have to move inside…not often we get a north wind in summer…but we did last night.




And the burgers were good…not burnt which you would have assumed if you had been watching (and laughing) from a distance…

Actually it probably looked like something was on fire…I’m surprised someone didn’t call the fire department.











But on to the burgers…



I was a little hesitant at what the list of “the lot” entailed. But through the week I had been gathering what I would need.



Not the time of year for “beetroot” in our neck of the woods, but I was able to find fresh ones at one of our local markets.







I had everything out on the table when we sat down…and then I brought out the fried eggs and bacon hashers. 


There were some confused looks…I think they were beginning to wonder if I was serving dinner or breakfast…or if I was off my rocker. But I’ll give it to them…they were all ready to “give it a burl” and “bog in”.



I think I heard a few choice words around the table as the burgers were falling apart. I guess it takes practice on how you hold everything together.


Aussie Burgers with the Lot

hamburger patties
buns
cheddar cheese
fried eggs
sliced bacon, cooked
thinly sliced pineapple rings
thinly sliced beet
lettuce
thinly sliced tomato
onion, sliced and fried in a little oil
ketchup
Mayo or Miracle Whip

We skipped the fried egg on the second burgers. We are all a bit health conscious (most of the time), and the second burgers were more “the works” Canadian style.


I used a combination of extra lean and medium ground beef. I find that the medium makes a better tasting burger, but causes more smoke on the BBQ. I also didn’t add anything to the hamburger patties. I used a little seasoning salt over the tops as they went on the grill.

The sliced beets can be fresh, or pickled I found from researching the recipes. I thought there was so much happening on that burger, perhaps the plain would be better. Thinking back, pickled would have been no different than adding relish or a dill pickle.

This burger is not for the faint of heart…or anyone that has a tendency to drip down the front... but so much fun.
(Shelley)




No comments:

Post a Comment