Monday 21 July 2014

Aussie Pavlova and Strawberries

From what I've discovered...you haven't experienced Aussie desserts unless you've had Pavlova.



Out of my comfort zone on this one.

I've made boiled icing...once.

I've made meringue for a pie...once.

I've wanted to make meringue cookies...many times.

But for some reason I think it's too much work...and failure rate will be too high.


And so here I am making Aussie Pavlova...and writing about it.

I've left it to almost the last day that we are discovering Aussie cuisine...the weather is not perfect. Humidity is high...the house is warm.

Most recipes are pretty much the same. I chose to follow the recipe from a site that has "Authentic Aussie Recipes".







Aussie Pavlova with Strawberries

4 egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup castor sugar (white sugar)
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp corn flour
1 tsp vanilla essence

Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually add the sugar.

Beat until firm.

Add corn flour, vinegar, and vanilla.




When combined, turn out onto a flat tray that has been greased and dusted with corn flour.




Try a circular shape with slightly more mixture at the edges, so that it may be served placing fruit and cream in the centre depression.




Cook in a pre-heated cool 250F oven for 1 hour.



(I'm thinking at this point I have a problem...)









When cooked, turn off oven and leave door slightly ajar. Allow to cool in oven.


The Pavlova should be crispy on the outside and marshmallow like on the inside. It was...just too flat.

Not sure why since I followed the directions exactly. Perhaps the egg whites were old...

Serve cold with fruit and cream.
(Shelley)

No comments:

Post a Comment