Sunday 27 July 2014

Sweet Potato Pancakes...Well Almost

Seriously...this may be one of my most challenging countries.

I haven't bought a cookbook yet, but may have to have a look and see what's available. Then put Google Translate to the test!

They appear to be a real meat and potatoes people, with a lot of oven made stews and goulashes.

Just the time of year that I'm looking for recipes to use the BBQ, keep the oven off, and the temperature inside the house minimal. Or as minimal as I can get it without A/C.

I found a recipe for Bramboraky, Czech savoury potato pancakes, which I thought I would make for breakfast.


So of course...I started without the recipe....because I knew what I was doing. What I made is a little different from the recipe I found...I forgot a few ingredients.

I'm not a fan of potatoes, but I thought I would give it a shot.

Below is the original recipe I found, and also my creation...which come to think of it isn't really a pancake because there is no flour. Oh well...less calories!



Bramboracky
4 large potatoes
3 cloves garlic, crushed
salt and black pepper to taste (optional)
1 pinch dried marjoram 2 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
2 eggs
1 Tbsp milk
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
oil for frying





Peel and coarsely grate the potato; squeeze out as much water as possible.

Transfer the shredded potato to a mixing bowl.. Stil in garlic, salt, pepper, marjoram, and the caraway seeds.

Beat the eggs and milk. Add the egg mixture to potatoes, and stir well.

Gradually mix in the flour.



Heat the oil in a skillet over media high heat; the oil should be about 1/4 inch deep.

Spoon about 1/4 mixture into the hot oil, flattening it out.

Fry the pancake until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Drain on a paper towel.

Repeat with remaining batter.






Sweet Potato (Flourless) Pancakes
1 small sweet potato, peeled and shredded/
1 clove garlic, minced
1 sprig oregano, chopped fine
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 eggs

Beat the eggs and add the reining ingredients.








(Best if pan is non-stick) Heat electric frying pan to 350, or a frying pan on medium high heat.










Drop by spoonfuls  and cook each side 3 or 4 minutes.















Serve with a dollop of cream fresh or sour cream, and marmalade.
(Shelley)







No comments:

Post a Comment