Monday 30 June 2014

Vietnamese Chicken Salad


I'm slacking with my blog writing...


We've been hit with hot weather all of a sudden and it takes some getting used to...at least for me. 


Good thing I got propane for my BBQ because for the next few days the cooking will be happening outside.


In between making all the fresh spring rolls, I made a couple of chicken dishes. 


The Vietnamese chicken salad I made last week is back on the menu for today..." mà không" chicken.






The recipe called for fish sauce which I haven't used before. I've used oyster sauce and I had expected it would be similar. I wasn't ready for the extreme saltiness and I have adjusted the amounts. 






Lots of cabbage I'm finding in Vietnamese cooking....you're going to get your fibre!

Vietnamese Chicken Salad
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp fish sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp white sugar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp black pepper

2 cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded
1/2 head cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
1 carrot cut into matchsticks
1/3 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro


Cook the chicken. I sprinkled the chicken with a little cinnamon and cloves, and pan fried in oil.


Whisk together the first eight ingredients and set aside.

Mix together the cabbage, carrot, and cilantro, add the chicken and toss. Drizzle the  dressing over the top and mix well. Plate, and sprinkle the peanut over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment