Friday 6 June 2014

My Turn to Roast the Turkey

OK...so it's only a chicken.

I've been craving a turkey dinner with all the fixings since my non-turkey Christmas dinner. Don't get me wrong...the food was excellent, just not turkey.

I'm not a huge fan of turkey. I'm good once or twice a year. I prefer chicken, plus not as many leftovers to deal with.

So now I've waited all day for this. Yum...roast chicken, stuffing, and gravy. So healthy...or not.


When I roast a chicken (or turkey) I have to make a bread stuffing. That's just how it should be. That's what my mother taught me.


The amount of stuffing I make depends on the size of the cavity. I used four hamburger buns.


Add some sage, a little diced onion, salt and pepper and I'm ready to stuff.





Fold over the skin and use a metal skewer to close the opening.

If the bird is large enough it's possible to stuff both ends. This one was.

I always allow a little stuffing to overflow into the roasting pan since this helps brown the bottom of the pan to make the gravy.






My mother also taught me to roast the chicken breast side up...but I'm a rebel at heart and gave my mother a hard time and insisted the chicken (or turkey) should be roasted breast down.

And guess what...I converted her.

And so...upside-down to Ross...breast side down, add a little water to the pan, sprinkle a little flour and salt.



Bake the chicken for about an hour and a half at 350. Covered for the first hour.

I always use a meat thermometer when roasting poultry...just to be on the safe side.

Remove the chicken and make the gravy.

Ideally I would have potato water to add, (anyone get the joke?) but today I had to settle for plain old boiled water.

Add it to the bottom of the roaster, and scrape all the brown bits.




Put through a strainer into a small pot. Mix together a little flour and cold water to thicken once the strained juices have come to a boil.




Oh boy oh boy!

I didn't count the points...but it was so worth it.

I even had a second helping...but I'll deny that if asked.

Next...soup's on!
(Shelley)

No comments:

Post a Comment