Wednesday 18 June 2014

Curry Pancakes




For as long as I can remember, I have loved pancakes.  We make the Scottish version which means they are good eaten hot, but even better eaten cold.  It's like regular pancakes met up with bread and had a child.  Over the years, we've tried every topping imaginable from the standards maple syrup and molasses to peanut butter or cottage cheese.  I'm positive my brother has eaten them with mustard, and I wouldn't be surprised if my father has put a fried egg on his.

For Dad's birthday, I wanted to make something that's a bit of a twist on the original, and immediately thought about curry.  Curry is good with something sweet, so I figured it would be a good match.  I was right!  Boy, oh boy!  Yum!
(Ross)


Curry Pancakes
1 cup Flour
1 tsp Cream of Tartar
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 cup While Sugar
2 Eggs (beaten)
About 7/8 cup of Milk
Curry Powder
  • Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and sugar in a bowl and mix together.  I use a whisk to make sure everything is evenly combined.
  • Add the eggs to the dry mixture.
  • Add enough milk to make the batter the consistency of heavy cream.
  • Add the curry powder.  The amount will depend on personal taste and the strength of the curry powder mix being used.  For my first batch, I spooned some of the mixture into a smaller bowl then added curry powder until I had the flavour I wanted.  Then I added enough curry to the larger bowl to make the batter the same colour as the smaller batch.  For me, it was about a quarter of a cup of curry powder.
  •  Heat a frying pan or electric griddle to about 375 of 400 degrees.  I prefer the electric griddle as it gives me more control over the temperature, plus I can adjust the temperature easily as I go if I find it too hot or not hot enough.
  • Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto the hot griddle.  When small bubbles start to appear, flip to cook the other side.  The pancakes are done when they feel soft but spongy to the touch.
Ready to flip over.
 Variations 
  • I added shredded sharp cheddar cheese to a couple of the pancakes and it was awesome.
  • The first batch I made today, I used cumin by mistake and it made a nice subtle, spicy version.  It was also good when I used cumin and hot ground red pepper.
  • I think the possible combinations are only limited by your imagination and your taste buds.
  • A bad choice (very bad) was hot habanero peppers chopped fine.  I can't remember eating anything hotter.  Ever! Ouch.
Curry pancake with cheddar

No comments:

Post a Comment