Monday 2 June 2014

Salmon Bites

Did you know...that Celtic lore holds the Atlantic salmon as the symbol of secret knowledge?



I need to come up with an appetizer that's a little different than the old reliable cheese and crackers that I serve at the last minute.

I love fish or meat as an appetizer, but don't usually have the time to think about what I want to make, and then play with a recipe.

This time I'm giving myself loads of time, and guess what? I won't need to tweak the recipe.

Turned out just fine the first time!

I bought a piece of salmon with the skin on. Since I'm cutting it into bite size pieces, the skin will keep it from falling apart.

I froze the salmon, and partially thawed, which made it easier to slice into squares.


Ginger Lime Salmon Bites

salmon filet, skin on, cut into bite size pieces
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp sesame seeds

Marinade
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 Tbsp lime juice






Mix together the marinade, and add the salmon pieces.


Transfer all to a sealable plastic bag and refrigerate 30 minutes, or overnight (all day).












Heat oil on medium heat, and add salmon pieces, skin side down.










Once you see the bottom flesh turing colour, flip the pieces to another side.

At this point the skin should be crispy.

Turn the salmon pieces until salmon is cooked through.

If the skin is not crispy, fry another 30 seconds skin side down.





Salmon can be served hot, room temperature or cold.

Sprinkle with sesame seeds just before serving, and add a lime wedge.


Still on my mission to have a salad a day. I have one romaine heat left.

Today I had the salmon cold with a Caesar salad.

Instead of adding lemon to the salad, I added lime.
(Shelley)

No comments:

Post a Comment