Sunday 22 June 2014

Stuffed Mushrooms Shelley Style

(Well darn...I can't seem to find that little piece of scrap paper I was keeping track of the recipes...)

Oh well...

Never have I made stuffed mushrooms. Why? They are so good. I've already made them twice again since the party.

This is my lack of adventure when it comes to food. When I travel I should be trying all kinds of wonderful dishes that are unique to the country...but what do I do? I look for English and try to find something I know...

The only way I ever cook mushrooms is fried in butter or oil as a side for steak. Sometimes in a stir fry, and maybe in spaghetti sauce but not often.

And such a healthy appetizer are mushrooms.


Not having made them before I had to wing it and select what I thought would be good.

I could have cheated, but I wanted these to be my very own. That's not saying that someone else hasn't made the very same thing...

When deciding on the ingredients, I starting by listing the stems...of course. No sense in wasting them. Amounts will vary each time, and I had to guess since each time the size of the mushrooms will be different.

Stuffed Mushrooms
Shallot, minced fine
stems, chopped (I used extra stems and mushrooms)
Garlic croutons, crushed
Asiago cheese
And fresh oregano....
salt
Olive oil
16 button mushroom, large enough to stuff

Prepare the mushrooms by removing the stem, and cleaning around the inside edge.





Chop the mushroom stems into a fine dice.




Heat a Tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan on medium high heat, and add the shallots.

Once these have started to soften, add the mushroom pieces, and sprinkle with a little salt.






When the shallots and mushroom pieces have cooked down and the liquid has evaporated, add a couple Tbsp of the crushed croutons. Save enough to sprinkle over the top of each mushroom.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chopped fresh oregano and the cheese.



Spoon a little mixture into each mushroom.

Sprinkle the remaining crushed croutons over the top of each.

Bake 400F for 30 minutes.

Serve immediately!
(Shelley)





No comments:

Post a Comment