Tuesday 16 September 2014

Spring Rolls with Chicken

I really need to pay more attention to what I'm doing...


But...this was a happy accident that turned into one of the best spring rolls I have made yet. Not really a "Fresh" roll since all the insides are cooked, but the veggies are crispy enough to think it's fresh.

Initially I thought of making a caesar salad with chicken. I would normally BBQ the chicken, but I worked a bit late and was in a hurry.

I chopped it up, and pan fried in a little olive oil...and instead of sprinkling garlic powder...I sprinkled smokey paprika.




Now I know those two look nothing alike...but I had on my mind the chilli chicken kabobs I make...and was thinking chilli instead of garlic...and ended up with paprika.














So already in my mind I was thinking a quick change to the menu...put the lettuce away, chopped up a few veggies and got out the rice paper wrappers.













Spring Rolls with Chicken
Boneless chicken breast, cut up
2 tsp smokey paprika
cabbage, sliced thin
yellow beans, chopped
green beans, chopped
shallot, grated
carrot, grated
salt to taste
8 inch rice wrappers



Coat the chicken in the paprika, season with a little Kosher salt, and pan fry until done.

Remove from pan and set aside.

Add a little water to the hot pan, and add your veggies.

Cook until the water evaporates and the veggies soften a little, but are still crisp.



Meanwhile, shred the chicken.




Once the water has evaporated in the pan, add the chicken back in.

Stir to mix well.

Prepare the rice wrappers, fill and roll.







I made two dipping sauces for the chicken rolls. Hoisin sauce and lime, one of my favourites, and a curry sauce which was pretty good with the rolls as well.

Hoisin Lime Dipping Sauce
Hoisin sauce
Lime juice

The amount of lime juice is a matter of personal taste. Hoisin sauce is good all by itself too!

Curry Dipping Sauce
Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
Curry powder

Again, it's a matter of personal taste. The curry taste can be as strong as you like it to be.

I think I'm "rolled" out. No more fresh spring rolls for awhile. Looks like its going to be a great day today, so I believe the BBQ will be fired up tonight!
(Shelley)






No comments:

Post a Comment