Tuesday 9 September 2014

Bazlama Revisited

One of my favourite recipes so far is the Turkish flatbread Bazlama.  I think it's the versatility of the dough that is my main fascination.  Made the traditional way, it is truly delicious, but I've also used it for some other purposes such as Raisin Bread Rolls, Pizza, and Cinnamon Swirl Bread.

When used as a bread, the dough is very light and airy, so I think adjusting some of the ingredients is helpful.  A bit less yeast, a bit less fat, a bit less dairy.  Many people say that baking is strict and exact measurements are key.  I disagree.  Especially when it comes to breads.  I prefer to measure approximately and then adjust by the texture and feel of the dough.  Just remember to adjust with liquid if things are too dry or more flour if it's too wet.
(Ross)


Basic Bazlama Recipe
1 cup Warm Water
1 tbsp Instant Yeast
3 cups Flour (plus one cup more for kneading)
1/2 cup Yoghurt (or Sour Cream)
1/4 cup Olive Oil
2 tsp White Sugar
2 tsp Salt

  • Add the yeast to the warm water and set aside to let the yeast activate.  If the yeast is good, it should only need 10 or 15 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, combine the yoghurt and the flour.  I used my hands to mix it in until the dough was damp and crumbly.
  •  Next add the sugar, salt, and oil. Stir and/or knead this into the dough.  I think I just used my hands to mix it at this stage too.
  • Once the yeast has started to foam nicely, add the yeast/water mixture to the dough and knead it in.  The dough may be quite sticky by now, so additional flour might be needed.
  • Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until it has a smooth texture. Form the dough into a ball, cover it, and let it rise for about an hour or so.

Pizza
  • I used only about 1/3 of a cup of yoghurt and 2 tablespoons of oil, so I also adjusted the amount of flour accordingly.
  • After letting it rise, I rolled out the entire ball as flat as I could then placed it on a pizza pan.
  • This was topped with tomato sauce, then pepperoni, and finally grated mozzarella.
  • Bake in a hot over (450 or 475) until the cheese starts to turn brown and the crust is done (about 10 to 15 minutes).
  • The texture is more fluffy than pizzeria pizza, but yummy just the same.
 

Raisin Bread Rolls 
  • This time I used 2/3 of a cup of yoghurt and canola oil instead of olive oil.
  • When adding the sugar and salt, I also added ginger, cinnamon, and raisins which had been soaked in bourbon.
  • After the dough had risen, I divided it into 12 and formed each one into a small ball, then placed them all in a greased muffin pan.  Next time, I think I would make more balls so they would be smaller.
  • I let these rise for about half an hour or so and then baked them at 375 for 10 minutes or so -- until they are nicely browned.

Cinnamon Swirl Bread
  • This started out to be cinnamon rolls but I made the mistake of using melted butter -- which started to make a big mess.
  • The yoghurt was running low, so I used 1/3 of a cup plus about 1/4 cup or so of vanilla soy milk.  I also was heavy handed with the sugar.
  • The dough was rolled out similar to the pizza, but into as much of a rectangle as possible.
  • Mix about 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar with a tablespoon of cinnamon.
  • Melt 1/2 cup of butter and add the brown sugar mixture to it.
  • This is where it gets messy -- it's worth it though.  Spread the butter and sugar mixture over the dough and then roll it up.  The butter/sugar will leak out of the ends, so be careful to try and prevent this.
  • Place the rolled up dough into a well greased bread pan and bake at about 375 for 15 minutes or so. The top of the loaf should be nicely browned.
  • Let cool briefly and then remove from the pan onto a serving plate.
  • Note to self:  Grease the pan and grease it well!   -- See below.
Some came out of the pan.



Some stayed in the pan.







No comments:

Post a Comment