Sunday 16 November 2014

And then there's the Vodka...

I know I'm supposed to be traipsing around Chile, but I would be remiss leaving Russia and not talking about the vodka.


Vodka has always been a favourite of mine when mixing drinks. White Russian, Black Russian, Bloody Caesar, a Screwdriver...in a pinch, have all been consumed in and around the house.

For the past month, I have been sampling different vodka brands, and wonder how anyone could ever drink it straight.

I did have some lime flavoured vodka leftover from the summer, that I had been mixing with club soda. That I could possible drink with just ice if there was nothing else available.



Sorry all you folks that can drink it on ice...and like it! But to me it tasked like something that should be in a sterile unit of a hospital.



But on to mixes! I found a new favourite drink while perusing the pages and pages of ways to mix up your vodka.



It's more of a summer drink, but if you like iced tea...and not the stuff from a can...but the real stuff they serve in restaurants and on front verandas in the deep south...sweetened or unsweetened, you're going to love this!




Shanghai Green Tea

Make a pot of green tea, let steep for a few minutes then remove the bags. Let cool, and then chill.

1 1/2 oz vodka
1 oz fresh lemon juice
1 tsp - 1 Tbsp sugar
1 sprig mint
cold green tea

Fill a tall glass with ice. Gently damage the mint leaves on the stem to allow the mint flavour to permeate the drink.

Add the vodka, lemon juice and the sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar.

Top with the cold tea.

Garnish with the mint sprig and a lemon wedge.


I think I'm going to have a hard time with Chile. A few of the countries past, I've been able to visit local restaurants and view the menus online.

I'm trying this tactic with Santiago, and the menus are detailed, but for the most part they don't list ingredients...just the name of the dish...

I do know the wine is good....so if all else fails, I may be drinking my way through Chile.


No comments:

Post a Comment