Sunday 12 October 2014

Russia


Now that I have located Ross in the “lost baggage” after his little sabbatical, we’re ready to hit the trail again. Virtual bags are packed, virtual boarding cards in hand, and first class seats for the overnight flight into the world’s largest country.

Russia and vodka….I have to admit that is foremost in my mind since I know absolutely nothing (nichego) about their food. So you just know we are going to give that the old taste test. Ross has already been rummaging through his pantry looking for that bottle of vodka he knows is in there. I keep mine in plain sight. If I was to store mine in the pantry it would be lost and gone forever.

It seems from what I’ve been reading, Russian cuisine has evolved from what was once considered peasant food. Hearty foods such as potatoes, beets, and grains, just to name a few, and fish and meats were plentiful and still are, in the harsher northern climate. 

And caviar…hard to believe that caviar is a staple! But that will be on my menu in the upcoming days.

So here we go (hate red eye flights) heading deep into the net to discover Russian food.

No comments:

Post a Comment