Thursday 28 August 2014

Fish Friday...Isn't It?

Well it's my Friday...and an extra long weekend.

Usually by this time of year, the overnight temperatures are cooler and we're just waiting for them to tell us there is a risk of frost in low lying areas...and then I have to decide what to do about my tomato plants.

I'd drag the pots inside since they are just on the deck, but I'm scared to death a large family of earwigs would come along for the ride.

Both plants are doing well, and the cherry tomato plant is just loaded. I may let them ripen all at once and share them in the form of a side salad.




But today it's fish...not tomatoes. Again in Turkey I found a recipe for blacked halibut.

I have myself convinced I don't like halibut, so I made the dish with haddock.

Out of my comfort zone on this one, since one of the ingredients was cumin.

I'm sure this will be a favourite of a lot of people, but not me.

I will eat it if served to me, but probably not make it again.

Although I love the smell of the cumin, didn't particularly like it on the fish.



Blackened Haddock

4 pieces haddock
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1 clove garlic, minced fine
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
2 Tbsp canola oil for frying.


Dry the fish on a paper towel.








Combine all the ingredients, except the oil, and rub over the fish.













Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium high.

Add the fish and reduce the temperature to medium.

Fry on both sides until fish is done, 4 or 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.



Serve with lemon wedges and a side salad.
(Shelley)




No comments:

Post a Comment